Friday, September 14, 2007

Lab....PLEASE READ MY ENTRY!!!!!

Programming my infusion pump



Hanging some IV fluids

Drawing my medication from a vial




Giving yet another injection



Me and Kelley!






Okay, so hope you enjoy the new lab pics! I want to briefly talk about my clinical today cause I got to do some cool stuff! My patient needed a blood transfusion (very common for cancer patients) and I got to hang the blood which I guess doesn't seem all that exciting but IT WAS!! It's a bit of a complicated process....especially since we had two other IV fluids infusing. I got to change all the tubing, spike the new bags, prime the lines, hook up the blood! I have done all that with IV fluids but it was pretty cool doing it with blood!! I also got to draw blood from a PICC line, which is an IV but it goes straight to the heart. It too was a little confusing but my RN, Dan walked me through the whole thing. The amazing thing was just realizing that I was drawing blood right from his heart!!! I had to slow down at one point to allow the chamber to fill up with more blood. I also gave po meds, insulin injection, flushed IV lines, etc. Anyways, thanks for reading about my exciting day at clinical- I know there will be many more to come this semester. I can't believe we are only two weeks in!!! Love and miss you all :)

7 comments:

peg said...

From an old nurse...Way Cool Stuff!!!!
Miss ya, Peg

Chris said...

Ooh...drawing straight from the heart. That is quite amazing. Way to go!

Todd said...

Nice work on the blood transfusion.

Jon Sween said...

Way cool stuff. I am so proud of you. You'll always be my baby. Who sang that song? Love you, Dad

karissa said...

Super cool real life nurse action, you are doing great! Keep it up, we miss you bunches, all 6 of us :-)

Steph said...

Sara Evans, Dad. Glad you like the song :)
Thanks for all the comments! Missing you all tons!!

karissa said...

Caleb "I like that one where she has soft hair, I love her, I love that one"
Rylee "I want her to know I love her"