Monday, January 12, 2009

The little things


Christopher and I have had several chats about posting and simply sharing your thoughts on the blog. I always say- "I never have anything important to write!", which causes me to only post when I have pictures to put up or when I get a good grade and want everyone to know! Well, I finally have something to share that was prompted by an amazing day at work and not a picture. I transferred to a different unit in the fall (although I still work on 9S occasionally) and it has been so good for me. I didn't want to transfer because I didn't want to work with new people, but I am finally getting to know my new co-workers and get comfortable on the floor. However, for the first few months (I only work 3 shifts a month so it's hard to get to know people), I really didn't really interact with the nurses much which left me with only my patients. As a result I've had some of the most amazing interactions with my patients...sitting on the edge of a patient's bed listening to their frustrations about being sick, giving a patient a back rub who was so lonely and just needed to feel that she was cared for, kneeling beside a family member, both of us cyring, who was heartbroken about the condition of her father, finally getting a crabby old lady to crack a smile and laugh with me, and realizing that a simple walk around the hall, a cup of jello, a freshly made bed, heartfelt concern, and an ear willing to listen can have the greatest impact on a life. I left work yesterday with a renewed sense of what nursing actually is. God created me to be a nurse and I was in tears last night as I realized how close I was to living out this lifelong dream.

6 comments:

Chris said...

You know I always joke with you about needing to "intebate stat" and other ER terms from the Noah Wiley days, however, whenever I think of you and the way that you are wired, your caring nature and the kind servants heart you have that is filled with compassion for others- I just know you are going to be not only be a nurse who does the right things medically speaking, but more than that, you will be the kind of nurse whose very presence can warm a room, bring comfort to a patient or family, and truly make a difference in someone's life.

The Jorgensons said...

Isn't it so amazing to have that feeling of doing exactly what God meant for you to do? I think a lot of people never figure out their real passion or else never actually go after it. I am so proud of you for doing the HARD work to become a nurse and not settling for less than all God intended for you. Love you!

Anonymous said...

The comments from your fam were almost as sweet as your post. You should do serious posts more often - great thoughts. You have seen what is most important in your calling which is the people. You are growing and changing right before my eyes - or at least ears as in lots of cell phone calls.

Chris said...

Cell phone calls AND "eleven texts a day."

Steph said...

hahaha. so true.

Unknown said...

You have always been one of the most caring people I know. You would go visit my old-lady friend with me when nobody else really wanted to - and you really enjoyed being with her. She could tell and I know that your patients can tell the unusual and genuine care you have for them that means so much.